Wendy Christine Beard
10Jan1951 - August 1966
Not that Wendy died in 1966, but changed name to Kris.
This url stewart.sdsu.edu/wendy/
Wendy Beard =
Kris Stewart, Professor of
Computer Science, Emeritus 2013, at San Diego State University; joined the faculty in 1984 as Assistant Professor of Numerical Analysis
Nancy Beard [Douglas] (sister), Janet Douglas Beard (mom), Wendy Christine Beard (me),
Wendell Otis Beard (dad)
Beard Family Xmas Card Photo 1961? Wendy/Kris (next to the Major) is in 5th grade at Belinder Elementary School, Prairie Village, KS
Valid stories (in film) related to my life:
www.bratsourjourneyhome.com/ Brats: Our Journal Home "First Documentary about Growing up Military"
The Great Santini
Glad dad had two daughters; no son could compete with him. "Women should be kept barefoot and pregnant", can be a motivator.
The Boomer Century: 1946-2046
I am proud to be called a Marine Corps Brat.
What is unique about this life?
- You move every 2 or 3 years [I got one (1) moving carton for "my stuff", no wonder I'm a packrat now.]
- 1951: Wendy/Kris is born (Wednesday's Child) at Camp Pendleton while Dad is fighting in Korea.
- 1951-3 Capistrano Beach CA
- 1953-1955 Parris Island SC
- 1955: Stationed at MCAS El Toro Wherry Park housing [1st Marine Corps base we lived on that no longer exists, Orange County changes ...]
Playland Nursery School. Wendy row 2 next to last with pigtails
- 1956-8: Kindergarten and 1st grade at Barbers Point Naval Station while we were stationed at NAD Waikele (Naval Ammo Depot), lived on base. Oahu was still a territory. Waimea had not been surfed and was off-limits to military. Magical time. Now know that they stored NUKES for the Pacific fleet here. Waikele History pdf, online WSS
[2nd Marine Corps duty station that no longer exists]
15June1958 Hula Certificate SS Leilani cruise ship returning to CA
- 1958-60: stationed Camp Pendleton, living off-base in Vista. 2nd and 3rd grade at Santa Fe Elementary School, Vista, CA. Get to Disneyland yearly for Camp Pendleton night [no A- B- C- D- E-tickets for that night].
1959 movie Gidget is released (IMDB)
- 1960-63: Kansas City while dad worked with the USMC Reserves. We lived in Prairie Village KS, with civilians. Attended Belinder Elementary School.
Sandahl Bergman (wiki) was in my Girl Scout Troup. We watched NASA space shots at school in the halls.
4th Mrs Bridgeman
5th Mrs ODell
6th Mrs McKenna
Scout troop train to Hannibal Mo - can you spot Sandahl Bergman? (4th from right)
Nov59 Horse Cgold wMom
1960Jan14 VistaP BrownieTr
1960July Coarsegold moving to Prairie Village KS
1963July Nancy, Wendy and cousin John at Disneyland, moving to MCS Quantico VA
- 1963-1966: Marine Corps Schools Quantico, Va, lived on-base and took bus to school. Had to keep up with younger sister Nancy when she joined the swim team. Nancy is double-jointed and a natural backstroker. I was mediocre and was used to fill out Medley Relay teams - all I had to do was swim 100m butterfly without being DQd (disqualified). Eventually you develop a fairly efficient stroke.
7th & 8th
- 1966-1969: back to Vista CA so dad could prepare and to go Vietnam war. Unique for a Brat to spend high school in one location. I lucked out because Lincoln Jr. High and Washington Jr. High both fed Vista High [VHS], so I fit in more easily.
Kris Beard is created when we turn in QuanticoVA school records to VHS. Thanks Janet, my mom, for support
- 1969-1973: UCSD math major and I fall in love-at-first sight with Glen Stewart, the Santa Cruz surfer from Los Altos Hills. My dorm suite mate Carolyn went to LAHS with Glen and Gary Brink, who were cruising the dorm halls first night in the dorms.
- Dad stationed @ Pendleton until 1975 or so when he retired from the Corps.
- Besides moving so often, being raised up as a military dependent is unique:
- If a child misbehaves, it goes on the parent's military service record and may impact their career.
- Big difference living-on base with fellow "brats" or off-base with civilians.
- Each change of duty the family would make the big trip to visit the relatives [Aunt Dorothy Summers (Janet's sister) & Cousin John in La Habra, Grandpa Don Douglas (Janet's father) at cattle ranch in Coarsegold, Mimi (Janet's mother, Selma Douglas) in Whittier, Grandma/pa Beard (Wendell's parents) in Sacramento, later Harper, Kansas.]
- Wendell O Beard, Father
- Janet Douglas Beard, Mother
Don Douglas, Janet's father, and their whole family spent summers in
the High Sierras,
The Mammoth Lakes Pack Outfit
is now run by John Summers, Kris' cousin, Janet's nephew.
Rough Timeline for Kris Stewart;
Return to Kris Stewart's Home Page