University Senate IIT Committee
04 Dec 2012 11am
- Our committee members
- need member Eng/IVC
CAL Ming-Hsiang Tsou;pipl
Business Bongsik Shin
Education Bob Hoffman; pipl pipl2
* replacement needed due to Sabbatical * Engineering Tom Impelluso;
Health and Human Services Jong Won Min;pipl
* Imperial Valley Campus member-needed;
Library Lisa Lamont;pipl
Mark Siprut pipl due to Sabbatical * PSFA Richard Burkett; pipl2
Sciences Kris Stewart; pipl, pipl-2
Staff Lisa Heizer; pipl, pipl-2
ITS James Frazee/Marc Pastor;
Acad Affairs, John Ross;pipl
CIO, Rich Pickett; pipl
IT Sec Office Felecia Vlahos; pipl
IT Managers, Tony Chung pipl /Kevin Carter;
AS representative Tara O'Brien
- 0. Next Meeting - Spring 2013 - 05 Feb Tues 11am - AH1109 ?
- 1. Update from Educause 6-9Nov2012 Denver and Online - Rich Pickett and James Frazee
- 2. Update on ITS - James Frazee
- Might include DET/CHE conference he attended in L.A. last week.
- 3. Email aliases and their impact on the SDSU/gmail system - FYI
- I have found that my firstname.lastname@example.org, which is printed on my business cards, required me to take care with each email client I use with the new google-SDSU email. email@example.com is just too long, so i'm sticking with firstname.lastname@example.org, but must remember that each mail client needs tweaking. My last gotcha was using my windows phone. Bob Hoffman wanted to share some issues with how google docs are exchanged. Rich also chipped on.
- 4. How is Windows 8 being viewed in your area?
- Personally, I run Windows 8 at home, but have heard from SCEC (Sciences Computing & Electronics Center) that they are not eager to transition and they shared a couple of articles that our IIT committee member shared.
"New malware variant recognizes Windows 8, uses Google Docs as a proxy
to phone home"
Google Docs proxy proxy to phone home
"Malware Targeting Windows 8 Uses Google Docs"
Malware Targeting Windows 8
Tony C. Chung, Director, Information Systems Management, Student Affairs
Web Systems & Desktop Services Group, Enrollment Services
- 5. Massive Open Online Courses - Ming Tsou suggests
- One possible topic we could discuss is the MOOC (MOOC.) Massive open online course. I recently took a course from coursera about social network analysis. It is a great experience for me and I wonder if any SDSU faculty members might be interested in creating MOOC? Just my two cents.
https://class.coursera.org/sna-2012-001/auth/welcome?type=logout&visiting=%2Fsna-2012-001%2Fclass%2Findex from Coursera
- 6. FYI - Kris Stewart retires at end of Spr2013
- My MS is progressing and there are things I want to do, travel during the spring and fall when temperatures are better for me, and after 29 years of service to SDSU, I will be retiring [1, 2, 3, 4]. Thought you would like to know. Another FYI, Dr. Khaled Morsi (and Mark Siprut and I) will be presenting at the 14Nov CTL lunch on our Poster. RVSP and join us for a free lunch at Faculty/Staff Center.
- 6. Other issues from your part of campus?
- Campus Police CellPhone data (soft copy) Felicia discussed last month.
06 nov 2012;
02 oct 2012;
04 sept 2012
Spring 2011 26april2011 meeting;
22 March 2011 meeting;
22 Feb meeting 2011
No meeting Fall 2010 due to schedule conflicts of members
Spring 2010 meetings with agenda
Fall 09 IIT meetings with agenda
Spr 09 IIT meetings with agenda
Fall 08 IIT meetings with agenda
Back to Stewart's Home Page